Barton Hill, Bristol
Barton Hill is an area of Bristol, just to the east of the city centre and Bristol Temple Meads railway station.
It includes residential, retail and industrial premises and is crossed by major roads, railway tracks and the feeder canal leading to Bristol Harbour.
The solid geology of Barton Hill is Triassic Redcliffe Sandstone
Barton was a manor just outside Bristol mentioned in the Domesday Book as Bertune apud Bristov, and later in 1220 as Berton Bristoll. In Saxon and early Norman times the manor was held by the king, and was known as Barton Regis. The manor gave its name to the hundred of Barton Regis. Sloping ground at the southern end of the hundred, leading down to St Philip's Marsh, became known as Barton Hill.
Great Western Cotton Mill on Great Western Lane was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in the early 19th century. Great Western Cotton factory opened in 1838 and closed in 1925. From a plan of 1839 the sheds are seen to have contained up to 1600 looms. The main spinning mill was demolished in 1968.
Information from Wikipedia
Member No: R070