Canon's Marsh is an inner city area of Bristol, England, of approximately one square kilometre. Canon's Marsh is situated on the north side of Floating Harbour, immediately to the west of the River Frome spur (St Augustine's Reach) of the harbour. Canon's Marsh borders Hotwells to the west, Clifton to the north, and the city centre to the north east. Canon's Marsh was a shipbuilding area until the last yard closed in 1904, incorporating two of Teast's Docks, and including J&W Peters shipyard.
Canon's Wharf was once one of the busiest quays in the docks, with its own branch of the Bristol Harbour Railway, cranes and a goods shed. The area was also the location of the city gas works. With the decline of industry throughout the 20th century Canon's Marsh was cleared to make way for urban renewal. Due to pollution, however, the gas works remained derelict for several years. The area is now the location of At-Bristol, the South West offices of Lloyds TSB bank, a campus of City of Bristol College and several bars, restaurants, apartment buildings and offices. As of 2005 renewal continues with the construction of several mixed use buildings.
Information from Wikipedia
Member No: R070