Cotham is an affluent, leafy inner-suburbofBristol,England, situated betweenCliftonandSt Pauls, and similar in character toRedland. During theCensus 2001, Cotham had a residentpopulationof 10,902.
It is a cosmopolitan residential area with large old houses (many of which are used as hotels andbed and breakfastaccommodation, or divided into flats) and a selection of small independent shops. It also contains thecomprehensiveCotham School(formerly Cotham Grammar School).
The top of Saint Michael's Hill in Cotham was the historical city limits of Bristol, and the traditional location for hangings. Between 1555 and 1557, threeMarian martyrswere burned to death here for their religious beliefs. The gallows form one quadrant of the crest of the local Rugby club,Cotham Park RFC.
Cotham Churchwas originally built, in 1842-43 byWilliam Butterfieldin aGothic Revivalstyle, as Highbury Congregational chapel. It was Butterfield's first commission, obtained through his family connection withWilliam Day Willsof the tobacco industrialistsW. D. & H. O. Wills. Theapse, tower, south transept and school were added in 1863 byEdward William Godwin. Since 1975 it has been an Anglican church.
Information from Wikipedia
Member No: R070