Frenchay is a suburb of Bristol, England, to the north east of the city, but located mainly in South Gloucestershire and the Civil Parish of Winterbourne.
Frenchay was first recorded in 1257 as Fromscawe and later as Fromeshaw, meaning the wood on the Frome.
The suburb is situated between the B4058 road, which runs parallel to the M32 motorway, and the wooded River Frome valley.
Frenchay's largest place of worship is the Anglican church of John the Baptist, adjacent to the large village common, which is overlooked by period houses. Also overlooking the common is the village school which dates from 1842. The village also contains a Catholicchurch, a Quaker Meeting House and a Unitarian chapel.
The main campus of University of the West of England is named Frenchay Campus, and there is a business park nearby.
Frenchay is also home to Frenchay Hospital, greatly expanded during World War II for the US Army, which treated wounded soldiers returning from the D-Day landings inNormandy. Frenchay is still one of Bristol's major hospitals. Its facilities have been greatly extended in recent years, although wartime buildings are still much in evidence. The hospital is currently under threat of closure.
Frenchay's earliest place of worship was the Quaker Meeting House. The present one dates from 1809, and it replaced an earlier one of 1670.
Many Quaker merchants from nearby Bristol made their homes here, including Joseph Storrs Fry, the Quaker chocolate manufacturer, who styled his company J S Fry & Sons. He moved to Grove House (now Riverwood House) in 1800. He died in 1835 and is buried in the burying ground behind the Meeting House along with his wife and daughter, Pricilla.
Frenchay Park, an adjacent suburb, is situated within Bristol city limits.
Member No: R070