Mayfield Parkis a residential area in EastBristol, with a large adjoining park known as the Ridgeway Rd Playing Fields.
The area is located on the outskirts of the outer urban area ofFishpondsand consists mainly of three roads: Mayfield Park, Mayfield Park North and Mayfield Park South. It is also near the main road of Berkeley Road and the outer urban area with the name ofSpeedwell, and adjacent toChester Park. The area consists mainly of families with children and elderly people, and has a population of 1,630 (est).
History of the area
Originally part of theRoyal ForestofKingswood, the area around Mayfield Park started to be cleared for agriculture from the 13th century. By 1839, the area was part of theParishofStapletonand was known as the 'Crooked Lane Inclosures' where the park is today and the 'Reeves Ground' where the houses were later built.In the 1880s, the Provincial Land Company let land in allotments for building purposes, and a large number of semi-detached villas and other houses were built and the area became known as Mayfield Park.
Until the HillfieldsHousing estatewas built in the 1920s, Mayfield Park encompased an area which extended acrossLodge Causewayto the north-east. In 1934 aRomancoin dating from the time ofVespasian, Roman Emperor between 69-79 AD, was found in a neighbours garden in Mayfield Park South, but no other Roman evidence has been found.
Information from Wikipedia
Member No: R070