Redland is an affluent suburb in Bristol, England. The suburb is situated between Clifton, Cotham, Bishopston and Westbury Park. The boundaries of the district are not precisely defined, but are generally taken to be Whiteladies Road in the west, theSevern Beach railway line in the south and Cranbrook Road in the east.
Redland is also the name of a council ward, which covers a slightly different area. Redland ward extends to the southern part of Bishopston, and does not include the part of Redland south of Redland Road, which is in Cotham ward.
Redland is known as a popular student accommodation area, particularly with second and third year students from the city'suniversities.
There are different views of the origin of the name Redland. One source says that in the 11th century it was known as Rudeland, possibly from Old English rudding, meaning "cleared land". Another source points to a mention in 1209 as Thriddeland, probably meaning "the third part of an estate". Yet another source refers to a mention in 1230 of Rubea Terra and a later mention as la Rede Londe, derived from the red colour of the soil.
For many centuries Redland was in the large parish of Westbury-on-Trym. It was incorporated into the city and county of Bristol in 1896, although it remained in the ecclesiastical parish of Westbury-on-Trym until 1942.
In 1732 the Redland estate was acquired by John Cossins (d.1759) from his wife's uncle George Martin. He replaced the old manor house with Redland Court, a house of Classical design. The estate was sold off in 1865, and the area was then developed for housing.
Information from Wikipedia
Member No: R070