Sea Millsis a suburb of theEnglishport city ofBristol. It is situated some 3.5miles (6km) north-west of the city centre, towards the seaward end of theAvon Gorge. Nearby suburbs areShirehamptonto the west,Coombe Dingleto the north, andSneyd ParkandStoke Bishopto the south. Sea Mills forms part of the city ward ofKingsweston.
Sea Mills was the site of aRomansettlement, known asPortus Abonae. The name and location suggest that this was a river or sea port. The Roman settlement seems to have been abandoned by the 4th century, and there is no evidence ofSaxonsettlement.
By theMiddle AgesBristol had become a major port, with all traffic between the port and the sea having to pass through the Avon Gorge and past Sea Mills. In 1712,Joshua Franklyn, a Bristol merchant, built awet dockat Sea Mills, to eliminate the need for large sailing ships to navigate the dangerous River Avon any further upstream. This was located where theRiver Trymenters theRiver Avon. However, poor transport links doomed the enterprise and the harbour facilities fell into disrepair by the end of the 18th century. Some remains of the dock still exist, and are used as a harbour by pleasure craft.
In the 1920s and 30s, Sea Mills was developed as a planned green suburb. Much of the housing was local authority, although it is now mainly in private ownership. Adjacent to the Portway is a small estate of prefabricated bungalows dating from a post-WW2 housing scheme.
October 2006 saw the opening of The Portway Rugby Development Centre. The facilities there are 2 outdoor 3G Crumb pitches, suitable for Rugby and Football, outdoor grass Rugby pitches (ready for August 2007) and grass training grids. There are 2 meeting rooms situated and they host many meetings and aerobics classes. A number of local football clubs use this facility including Wanderers FC and Lawrence Weston FC. Many of Bristol's rugby clubs use the facilities also, from St Brendans RFC to Clifton RFC.
Information from Wikipedia
Member No: R070